Documentation of my happenings in Cambodia from my thoughts, to funny things, and what God is doing in my life I hope you enjoy reading...

Romans 10:14-15

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'"

November 1, 2007

Language

As you can see in one of my earlier blogs I talk about the language and I refer to it as Khmi. I want to expand on this so that you know a little more about this. If I were to write the name for the Cambodian language in English it would be Khmer. However when pronounced by a Cambodian it is Khmi (or phonetically Khmae). The reason we spell it in English Khmer is beecause whhen it is written in Cambodian it has a silent Ro (which is equivelent to an R in English). This spelling however leads us to pronounce the name of the language incorrectly. So I just wanted you all to know if you see the English spelling Khmer rememver it is pronounced Khmi.

No comments: